Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Accessory Review: The Stick

Thanks to  J.C.U. for recommending this to Ice Girl.

A few months back, Ice Girl was having trouble with her right hamstring. A gal in the rink locker room recommended The Stick.

The Stick is just that – a stick. It has a semi-rigid plastic core with big, flat plastic beads along its length and two handles on either end. The construction is simple and I predict that it will be tough to destroy it with normal and even harsh use.

Ice Girl uses The Stick to roll out her muscles, especially where she has pain. When she reaches a pain point, she rolls it back and forth over that spot to relax it. The Stick can also be used to warm up muscles, too, but Ice Girl does more traditional warm-ups instead.

I’m not a physical therapist or any kind of medical professional, so you shouldn’t take this as medical advice. It’s anecdotal. However, Ice Girl says The Stick works. We took The Stick to a doctor’s appointment, a sports medicine doctor’s appointment, and a physical therapy appointment. All three health professionals said that The Stick was great and the physical therapist said she owns one.

I ordered Ice Girls’ Stick online and the Travel Stick set me back about $35, including shipping. You can really go nuts and buy a wide range of Stick sizes and packages and spend over $100. I thought that I’d spend the least amount of money on the smallest stick and have Ice Girl try it out first. The Travel Stick is small enough to fit in her skate bag and works quite well. She has no idea that there are other Stick models and I’d like to keep it that way – this Stick was pricey enough, thanks.

Bottom line: I recommend The Stick, especially if your skater is having pain in hard-to reach areas. I know it works because Ice Girl willingly totes it around and uses it without any prompting. I’ve even caught her using it while watching t.v.

Update: From reader Anonymous: If you don't need to take it with you, a ball (volley, basket, tennis) will work well at home too. I guess you could take a tennis ball with you LOL.

Update: From reader Anonymous: I'm a physical therapist and also a skating mom. Tennis ball in a very long stocking works pretty much the same way. In my therapy clinic, we give away used tennis ball for self massage. It has to be a used one. The new one is too stiff and hard for massage.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you don't need to take it with you, a ball (volley, basket, tennis) will work well at home too. I guess you could take a tennis ball with you LOL.

There are also larger foam rollers out there that work well for activating muscles as well as trigger point massage, but they are pricey and the stick looks better plus has the added benefit of being portable.

thanks for the info!

Ice Mom said...

Tennis ball. Very smart. Must find one without dog slobber, though. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I'm a physical therapist and also a skating mom. Tennis ball in a very long stocking works pretty much the same way. In my therapy clinic, we give away used tennis ball for self massage. It has to be a used one. The new one is too stiff and hard for massage.
I have been enjoy your blog and thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.

Ice Mom said...

Thanks, Anony, for the cheaper alternative to The Stick!

Anonymous said...

I think "The Stick" needs a better title. I can get a stick, about the same size from the back yard.

Lauren said...

Hello icemom! Lauren from Sk8Strong here. I love the stick and use it with a variety of my patients and clients. Ice girl should keep using it (it's actually in our warmup DVD, as I think of it!)

Lauren said...

I take that back- was going to be in our warmup, then we took out the footage because we didn't like the filming.....

Prettybowtie said...

I use a version of the stick my Physio gave me, alternated with a theraband- the stick works out stiffness while therabands are made for building strength and flex in the muscles- dancers swear by them and I'm introducing them to my skate club. I also recommend using deep heat cream with the stick in order to help the muscle, not just beat stiffness out of it.

naruto said...

I will tell my skater boy to try this stick.